Saturday, March 26, 2011

Dark goodness

I'm a fan of good chocolate cake. It has to be moist, not too rich and easy to make. I've tried a few recipes in my time. One of which was the Bill Granger's recipe for chocolate cake but I found it to be too sweet. I could probably reduce the amount of sugar but I haven't had a chance to have another go at it.

So my question to you all is what is your favourite chocolate cake recipe?

I recently tried the recipe from 'Good chef, Bad chef' and I think I'm onto a winner. It was so good and taste better as the days go on. But I'm keen to try out a few more recipes before I decide.

Ingredients
Chocolate Cake
1 cup water
1¼ cups caster sugar
125g butter
½ cup cocoa
½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
200g dark chocolate (I used a mix of 1/2dark and 1/2milk chocolate)
1¼ cups self raising flour, sifted
2 eggs, lightly beaten

Chocolate & cream cheese frosting
125g icing sugar
15g cocoa powder
100g cream cheese
125g unsalted butter
160g dark chocolate



Chocolate Cake Method 
Preheat oven to 190ºC conventional or 170ºC fan forced.
Line a 20cm cake pan base with baking paper and lightly grease sides of pan.
Combine water, sugar, butter, cocoa and bicarbonate of soda in medium saucepan. Stir over heat without boiling, until sugar dissolves. Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 2 min. Pour over chocolate and stir. Cool to room temperature (approx. 30 min). Add flour and egg and beat until just combined. Pour into pan and bake for 40 min. Cool in pan 10 min then turn onto cooling rack. Drizzle over chocolate icing.

Chocolate & cream cheese frosting Method
Paddle cream cheese and butter until smooth. Add slowly sifted sugar and cocoa. Beat. Pour in chocolate

2 comments:

  1. Oooh good question! :D I love Nigella quadruple chocolate cake which I accidentally made into a quintuple chocolate cake (hehe one of those happy mistakes ;) ).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I make a gluten free one thats pretty delish and very easy too, but not as light as this one you made looks!

    ReplyDelete