Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Heading to Dubai, Malta and Sicily!!


After a weekend away at the mountains whilst chatting to Pepe's parents about their up and coming 3 month trip, we've decided to join them on the first leg of their trip.

I'm soooo excited. We're off to Dubai for a few nights, then Malta and then Sicily for 11days. Jaeminkins is going to be a well travelled baby by the end of this year.

I've heard so much about the architecture and the phenomenal amount of construction that has been occurring in Dubai so the civil engineering side of me is shouting yipee to be able to see it with my own eyes. I know, I'm a nerd. You should see me when we go on roadtrips and I point out culverts and talk about drainage to Pepe, think he just amuses me by nodding his head.

Don't know much on Malta, other than it's a small island but looking forward to discovering it. From Malta we're catching the ferry over to Pozallo, Sicily which is only a short 90min trip.

I'm excited about Sicilian food and wine. I've been reading up on cheeses, pasta, artichokes, open air markets, wild game, olive oil and of course desserts.

I've heard sicilian desserts are superlative. Can't wait to get into cannoli. The crunchy crust with yum creamy ricotta and sugar filling. I've heard that the ricotta there is made from sheep's milk so tastes a little different.

Can't wait for gelato either. Apparently, it is possible that ice cream was invented in Sicily during Roman times, when a relay of runners would bring snow down from Mount Etna to be flavoured and served to wealthy patricians.

The only thing I'm dreading is the packing and deciding what to take as I have to factor in Jaeminkin's needs too. So many questions running through my mind at the moment.

Do I take the pram or don't I? As we only have limited boot space in the car, I'm thinking of buying those bare minimal lightweight strollers over there, but are these easily available and cheap to buy?

Do I buy nappies, wipes, baby food on the go whilst travelling? Is the baby food any good? Or do I stock up on a few items from here? Decisions, decisions. Anyone been to these countries with a baby and can give me a heads up?

No comments:

Post a Comment