Saturday, April 30, 2011

Babyshower for sis

My surprise for my sister's babyshower was to make a cake Not just a cake but a cake that was decorated and in the shape of a baby. Now I had no idea how to decorate a cake with fondant and I thought by watching a few youtube posts and reading up on how to decorate that I would be sweet. Literally. I had baked the cakes the night before and made a chocolate mud cake and 2 caramel cakes. I made 3 cakes in total in case one of them stuffed up and luckily they all turned out okay.  I decided on a smaller head for the baby cake and so the spare cake got eaten by Pepe's folks and was also a hit at my mother's group meeting.
After cutting the chocolate mud cake in half and filling it with dark chocolate ganache, I covered both cakes with mock cream which is basically the glue for the rolled fondant. 

I got the white fondant and had to put in the colours and knead til the colour was spread evenly. Actually I didn't do this bit as Pepe did this for me. His hands turned an interesting shade of red after this. It was quite funny to attempt this as we were watching the Royal Wedding at the same time and would stop and go watch the tv and then come back to finish another aspect of the decoration for the cake. 


 We then added the eyes, ears, cheeks, feet, belly button, arms, hair, bib and lettering for the bib. I particularly liked the round contour of the body, as the fondant just slided straight on and it looked amazing. After four hours the cake was done and we were exhausted.

 My sis was very impressed with our cake. I was pretty happy with the result too.  


 My sis made these lovely cupcakes with baby bodysuits on top. How cute do these look?

Think this picture says a thousands words. This is before the baby shower event and we were all buggered before it was to begin, except for Jaeminkins.



Poor massacred cake, the day was fun, filled with lots of cake, laughter and catchup chats. Happy baby shower sis,


No comments:

Post a Comment