Monday, January 17, 2011

My lil sis' 30th birthday

I had a fantastic day today. Jaeminkins finally slept through the night for 10 hours breaking the pattern of waking in the wee hours which usually left me feeling zonked most days.

My day started with Chris, my sister coming over to hangout and as she wanted to try Opera Kitchen, I decided to treat her to a birthday lunch.

She loved her presents of a purse holder, silk thread necklace with a flower pendant and a rabbit rattle (as her baby is due in the year of the rabbit). However, Circular Quay was fair walk and a half from my place and Chris was not having a bar of it so we caught the bus. I love public transport when it comes on time, is airconditioned and the fact there's dedicated seating for prams and pregnant women which took us door to door to where we needed to go.

Such a gorgeous day to be out and about and the food at Opera Kitchen was equally fantastic. You get to choose from a selection of bakery items at Becasse Bakery, burgers at Charlie & Co by Justin North. Cloudy Bay Fish Co for an assortment of fish and Misschu which gives you a taste of vietnamese food. There is also a Japanese sushi bar, Kenji which is next door that requires a booking but it wasn't that busy when we were there.

Spoilt for choice and it was pretty casual as you join a queue, order from any items from the 4 outlets, take a table number and find a place to sit. Looking around there were people in their business suits, tourists taking a breather, grandmas and grandpas with their gaggle of grandkids, new mums with bubs in tow (me!), girlfriends catching up with glasses of wine and guys hanging out people watching.

I was impressed with the service as it seemed like within minutes our dumplings and glasses of sparkling arrived. Chris also commented on the Will Smith lookalike who was the waiter and when I had another look and asked her if she was for real, she doubted herself and then told me she didn't have her glasses so couldn't really tell. What a crackup, hope we weren't being too raucous.

As always our eyes were too big for our tummies, we ordered entrees of prawn and scallop dumplings and shanghai pork dumplings, then for mains the wagyu & co burger with beetroot relish, pickled gherkin and aged cheddar on toasted brioche bun and the classic fried chicken burger with iceberg, tomato, herb and garlic mayonnaise and of course fries to go with that. Yum!





After all that, we managed to fit in dessert, pistachio and raspberry friand, pear honey frangipane tart, almond croissant and decaf lattes. I know decaf for the breastfeeding and pregnant chicks.

Loving the Tripview ap as it let's you know when the buses, trains, ferries arrive so your not waiting around for ages. Pretty much timed it so we were back at my apartment and then off again to buy baby things for Chris.


We headed off to Broadway shopping centre and it wasn't too long before her basket was overflowing with clothes, wipes, towels, muslins and even the carry bag to carry the items was massive. It was classic to see her dragging this bag along the floor to the parent's room as I needed to feed Jaeminkins. Anyway, I wanted to wish my baby sister, an awesome 30th bday. Love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment