Monday, November 21, 2011

Australian Museum


It's been a wet, miserable week and keeping Jaeminkins indoors was enough to make me go batty. So, I decided to investigate what my options were.


Googling away, I came across The Australian Museum. What appealed straight away was the fact they had a kids space specifically targeted for under 5 year olds and they also had a baby friendly space for the babies to crawl around. Admission was $12 for adults and children under 5 years are free.


So I was keen to check it out as it had been awhile since I'd been there. Even with the drizzling rain, the city was buzzing, the David Jones Christmas windows were attracting many passer-by's, a sign of the Christmas craze.


With 2 of Jaeminkins good mates, we were 3 prams in tow. Walking through Hyde Park, it was good to see signage at the Australian Museum for a ramp entrance through the the boom gate.


Can I tell you that Kidspace is AMAZING!! The space is designed especially for the under-5's. It's a mini museum dedicated to stimulate young children's imaginations and encourages them to explore the natural world. The kids are encouraged to investigate, touch, feel real life objects and specimens through magnifying glasses. There's stuffed animals to touch, plastic replicas of snakes, spiders. Pepe would have been terrified but the kids were loving it.


 You can park your pram just outside of the space. Its marked up with line markings just like a car park. There is a nappy change and feeding area and you can ask for staff for a bottle warmer. What else could you ask for?




As soon as I put Jaeminkins down on the floor, he was running off exploring. Playing with the toys, real life spiders encased  in glass and crawling through the cubby house 'pods'.

The Kidspace features five 'pods', these include a bug pod, marine pod, volcano pod, observation pod and imagination pod. Such a fabulous set up, I couldn't find Jaeminkins for a few moments but I could hear his shrieks of joy.







Jaemie with his mate Paul, were busy discovering and crawling from pod to pod, stopping along the way to touch the puzzles on the wall, look through the glass windows and make new friends. 


It was funny to watch Jaemie climb into a box and crawl out landing face first and Paul copying the same move. Maybe I shouldn't been photographing this moment but it made me laugh.



There are bee, lady bug, frog, dinosaur costumes that you can have your little one dress up in. Jaemie didn't like keeping on his outfit at all. Luckily Jordan did and happily posed for me.


There's also a painting space set up with easels and paints where the bubs could paint and pick up their drawing once it had dried.


I love Kidspace and I think the boys did too. We spent all morning there, the boys running riot whilst we photographed their antics.







After the boy's lunch, we managed to walk around the museum and check out the dinosaurs, birdlife and Australian marine life and extinct animals. Jaeminkins didn't enjoy this too much as he whinged his way through the  sightseeing tour I was giving him. 






It wasn't too long before we were hungry and Pepe suggested Bodhi at Cook and Phillip Park. It was close by but I was dubious about having a vegetarian meal as I'm a meat lover. We tried their pumpkin, mushroom and beetroot dumplings. Also tried their dishes of fake duck and fake pork noodle with tofu.
Not too sure if I want to repeat that experience again.







After a fun day, let's say that Jaemie fell asleep in my arms whilst drinking his bottle of milk before going to bed. I've found that's a definite sign that he enjoyed himself immensely and also tired himself out. I highly recommend Australian Museum for keeping the cubs amused.


Anyone else know of well kept secrets like the Australian Museum?? Please let me know.


Australian Museum
6 College Street Sydney
NSW 2010 Australia
(612) 9320 6000

9.30am to 5pm daily (except Christmas Day)
Adult: $12
Family (2 adult, 2 child): $30
Family (1 adult, 2 child): $18
Concession: $8
Child (5 - 15yrs): $6
Under 5s: FREE
Members: FREE

http://australianmuseum.net.au/event/Kidspace

No comments:

Post a Comment